Flashing zxevo_fw.bin

ZX evolution software and hardware

Postby zboszor » 07 Apr 2014, 22:01

Hi!

The semi-english documentation (zxevo_firmware_update_eng.odt from the Google Code site) is not totally clear on how to do it.

My microATX computer case was connected as suggested by the English PDF manual:
- RESET switch connected to J9 (hard reset)
- POWER switch connected to J6 (soft reset/power on)

So, which button should be pressed and how?

The documentation is not clear: "2. Hold pressed soft reset button (hold shorted soft reset contacts on board) and switch on power to ZX Evolution or press on few time hard reset button (short on few time hard reset contacts)."

The first half of the sentence (" Hold pressed soft reset button (hold shorted soft reset contacts on board) AND switch on power to ZX Evolution ") is either redundant or conflicting with the connections in the ZXEVO manual section "4 Jumpers and button", page 13. When I hold the soft reset (the POWER switch!) it ALSO switches on power. Is that all? Just keep the power switch pressed for a few seconds, release it and watch the system power up and the FW file will also be flashed?

Or the above description is a typo in the manual, they are actually J6 = soft reset and J9 = hard reset/power on? And so I should close J6 for a longer time and while J6 is shorted, J9 should be closed and released? Or in the reversed way?

The second half of the sentence (" or press on few time hard reset button (short on few time hard reset contacts). ") is also unclear. What do you mean by "press on few time"? Should I press and hold it "for some time" or in other words: for a few seconds? Or should I press it "a few times" (note the plural), so I should press and release it, says 3 or 4 times in short succession?
zboszor

Group: Registered users

Postby zboszor » 07 Apr 2014, 22:22

OK, after some experimentation, the answer is:

Hold down POWER switch (J6) and press RESET (J9) momentarily.
zboszor

Postby lvd » 14 Apr 2014, 00:56

In fact 'english' docs are made by someone by means of some automatic translator. It is not we who wrote that doc and we do not support it. Sorry for that but we (or maybe just me, who wrote almost all 'zxevo_base_configuration' manual in russian) have no wish to support docs in both languages. Probably next time I'll write docs in english only.

What about reflashing AVR: to start reflashing, AVR should leave its own reset with soft reset button pressed. Soft reset button is just an ordinary button for AVR, unlike hard reset, connected direcly to AVR reset pin. If you have ATX power supply, AVR is powered on all the time and then you have either to use switch on power supply (if you have one) or use hard reset button. If you have non-ATX PS with its own switch, just press and hold soft reset button while cycling power to the board.
Многого нет здесь: http://lvd.nedopc.com
lvd

Return to Пентева - софт и железо