I tried the new firmware and ROM...

ZX evolution software and hardware

Postby zboszor » 15 Jan 2015, 15:01

I tried the new firmware and ROM. For some reason, when 48K or 128K is selected, my monitor shows a very off screen, either the left border or the bottom border (unfortunately, including some parts of the drawable screen) is not visible. The PENT and 60Hz screens are OK and correctly centered, as usual.
zboszor

Group: Registered users

Postby lvd » 15 Jan 2015, 17:23

zboszor wrote:I tried the new firmware and ROM. For some reason, when 48K or 128K is selected, my monitor shows a very off screen, either the left border or the bottom border (unfortunately, including some parts of the drawable screen) is not visible. The PENT and 60Hz screens are OK and correctly centered, as usual.

1. PLEASE don't write bugreports in news topic!

2. I've tested it with my own monitor and with LCD TV as on video. Other people tested it also with various monitors.
So your problem is most probably monitor issue. Which one you have? Can you try another one, preferably CRT type?

The only difference between pentagon and 48k raster is different number of lines (320 in pentagon, 312 in 48k raster), 128k adds longer lines (228 3.5 MHz clocks instead of 224) and also changes number of lines (311 this time).

upd: oh well, where did you take firmware? :)
Многого нет здесь: http://lvd.nedopc.com
lvd

Postby zboszor » 16 Jan 2015, 12:05

lvd wrote:
zboszor wrote:I tried the new firmware and ROM. For some reason, when 48K or 128K is selected, my monitor shows a very off screen, either the left border or the bottom border (unfortunately, including some parts of the drawable screen) is not visible. The PENT and 60Hz screens are OK and correctly centered, as usual.

1. PLEASE don't write bugreports in news topic!

Sorry about that. I see you moved this post to a new thread, thanks for that.

lvd wrote:2. I've tested it with my own monitor and with LCD TV as on video. Other people tested it also with various monitors.
So your problem is most probably monitor issue. Which one you have? Can you try another one, preferably CRT type?

I have a Benq G2320HDB monitor, which, unfortunately doesn't have the menu entries to modify the horizontal/vertical size of the image, only the position and with the 48K/128K timings, the image is too tall to fit.
I don't have a CRT monitor anymore.

lvd wrote:The only difference between pentagon and 48k raster is different number of lines (320 in pentagon, 312 in 48k raster), 128k adds longer lines (228 3.5 MHz clocks instead of 224) and also changes number of lines (311 this time).

No idea where the change in the vertical size of the image comes from. Most likely you're right, my monitor is "too new" to support low spec image timings.
Which monitor model do You have?

lvd wrote:upd: oh well, where did you take firmware? :)

I compiled it with the Altera Quartus 9.0 compiler from sources fetched from your SVN repo. :)

I will create a riot here, but I have to admit I also ported the SVN changes between r683 and r687 to the TSconf copy of BaseConf. :agent: :D
Both the plain BaseConf and the TS&Base switchable firmware works nicely. I only tried Aqua Plane and the border split effect is perfect.
But, as I mentioned, the bottom border and one or two lines from the drawable area is invisible. This is especially annoying because the Sinclair copyright message is also invisible after a reset.
zboszor

Postby lvd » 17 Jan 2015, 16:08

zboszor wrote:No idea where the change in the vertical size of the image comes from. Most likely you're right, my monitor is "too new" to support low spec image timings.o

I use some old CRT monitors. Btw, 48k and 128k rasters are actually not so "lowspec" like pentagon one, since the framerate is slightly bigger (50.08 Hz and 49.36 Hz instead of 48.83 Hz).

zboszor wrote:
I compiled it with the Altera Quartus 9.0 compiler from sources fetched from your SVN repo.

Have you tried first original zxevo_fw.bin along with original zxevo.rom?
zboszor wrote:I will create a riot here,

So I'll revenge you later, maybe in hell :-)
lvd

Postby zboszor » 17 Jan 2015, 19:07

lvd wrote:
zboszor wrote:No idea where the change in the vertical size of the image comes from. Most likely you're right, my monitor is "too new" to support low spec image timings.o

I use some old CRT monitors. Btw, 48k and 128k rasters are actually not so "lowspec" like pentagon one, since the framerate is slightly bigger (50.08 Hz and 49.36 Hz instead of 48.83 Hz).

I have tried two other LCD monitors.
Our "big screen", a Samsung TV doesn't handle 50Hz modes on its VGA input at all. The Pentagon, 48K and 128K modes are not display, only a message about "Unsupported mode".
My son's ASUS VH222D monitor has ways to set horizontal and vertical positions and handles 50Hz modes a lot better than my Benq. I tried the Shock megademo finally.

lvd wrote:
zboszor wrote:I compiled it with the Altera Quartus 9.0 compiler from sources fetched from your SVN repo.

Have you tried first original zxevo_fw.bin along with original zxevo.rom?

Yes. It works identical to the one I compiled from the SVN sources.

lvd wrote:
zboszor wrote:I will create a riot here,

So I'll revenge you later, maybe in hell :-)

Nah, we all are going to heaven. :D
zboszor

Postby lvd » 23 Jan 2015, 02:25

Well, I finally admit that I don't know what to do with your specific monitor. Although you, as an HDL coder, could try to invert some syncs (vertical or horizontal: both or not) to see whether your monitor could behave better.
lvd

Return to Пентева - софт и железо